2. Almost every summer night the cooling northeast wind swept through our bedroom windows.
It made air conditioning unnecessary.
It made a light blanket welcome.
3. The steep surrounding slopes were capped with snow.
The snow fed two streams.
These streams plunged down to join in the valley below.
4. This is a good spot for a picnic.
A river flows on one side.
A large tree provides shade.
We ,can spread our blanket on the grassy knoll.
5. Mr Wood ran up the stairs.
He was panting for breath.
He stood at his neighbor's door.
He knocked again and again.
Then someone opened the door.
6. The town folk envied Horace.
Horace had come into a small fortune.
With the fortune he bought a big house.
With the fortune he also obtained a partnership in the biggest grocery in town.
7, Jim stood in front of the mirror.
He looked at his image.
He wondered at the big change.
It had come over him in recent years.
8. He had greatly wronged his only daughter.
She might never forgive him.
This idea almost drove him crazy.
9. The story is written in plain language.
It consists of three parts.
It has an interesting plot.
The plot centers round an old aristocratic family.
The family lived in 17th-century France.
10. John was covered with mud.
He was shivering.
He sat hunched over a bowl of hot broth.
The broth had been prepared by his father to drive off the chill.
11. Far above the waters of a beautiful lake stand five pavilions.
The pavilions are in Chinese style.
They stand over the tops of the tall pine trees.
The pine trees grow on the steep slopes of a hill.
12. The old man stopped farther down the street.
He leaned against a lamp-post.
He listened to a song.
The song was cheerful.
It came out from a restaurant.
The restaurant was on the opposite side of the street.
13. Sarah sank in the nearest chair,
She was completely exhausted.
Her limbs were stiff with cold.