Words and expressions to be explained through their context or with the help of a dictionary.
get in touch with (Para. 1): to have the latest information, knowledge, and understanding
dull (Para. 1): slow to learn or understand
urge (Para. 1): an instinctive motive
puzzle (Para. 2): a difficult problem
figure out (Para. 2): to find the solution to (a problem or question)
bc willing to (Para. 3): would like to
on the basis of (Para. 3).. because of a particular fact or situation
reasonable (Para. 3): showing reason or sound judgment
unpredictable (Para. 3): unknown in advance
In-class Task 1
Read the text a third time for a better understanding. Explain in your own words the following sentences taken from the text.
1. The smart student is interested in life and facts, and he hopes to study it, accept it and indulge himself into it. (Para. 1)
2. He holds the principle that there arc several possible ways of achieving something. (Para. 1)
3. Others are usually not supposed to help him with the problem he is engaged in with efforts, since he does not want to be deprived of (getting) the chance to solve the problem himself. (Para.
4. Regardless of any possible bad results, he will set a boat to some unknown sea and make a research of unfamiliar regions. (Para. 3)
In-class Task 3
3. 1) Yes. The bright student is patient, curious about life and reality, and willing to go ahead on the basis of incomplete understanding and information. The dull student is impatient, far less curious in what goes on, and goes ahead only when he thinks he knows exactly where he stands and what is ahead of him.
2) There is more than one way to skin a cat, i.e. there arc several possible ways of achieving something.
3) He regards uncertainty and failure a threat instead of a challenge or an opportunity.
4) Of course the bright one. Bright students arc enthusiastic and passionate to everything around them. They always keep trying even though they are confronted with obstacles. Moreover, the bright students work hard since they are eager to resolve puzzles themselves.
5) I learnt that there arc several distinct differences between the bright students and dull students. The bright students arc more patient, curious about life and reality and always stick to what they believe in till they achieve it. While the dull students are usually passive to life, and they do not like challenge which they regard only as threat. To realize one's personal ideals, it's essential for him to be a bright student.