I. Answer questions.
1. Americans from the eastern coast settled in the rich new lands along the Pacific Coast in the 19th century.
2. The western deserts can be very dangerous.
3. Tall towers of red and yellow stone rise sharply from the flat, sandy valley floor.
4. Hikers in this empty desert land sometimes find very old native American pictures painted on the rocks.
5. Death Valley is the lowest place in America.
6. It is dry and hot in summer in Death Valley.
7. It is best to go to Death Valley in winter.
8. There are campgrounds, a luxury hotel, and a golf course in the resort.
9. They live underground and come out at night.
10. Because modern visitors to America's desert have air onditioning and can carry plenty of water in their cars.